Sunday, May 18, 2014

THE LORD SPOKE (May 18)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: I Kings 8-9

When should we pray? Solomon's prayer at the dedication of the new Temple is neatly outlined by "when...they pray...then..." and provides a clue for when we should seek God's face.

WHEN
  • someone has wronged us (I Ki. 8:31)
  • we have suffered defeat at the hands of the Enemy (I Ki. 8:33)
  • we sense that our relationship with God has been broken (I Ki. 8:35)
  • we suffer hard times (I Ki. 8:37)
  • we are estranged from God's people (I Ki. 8:41)
  • we are facing a big challenge (I Ki. 8:44)
  • we sin (I Ki. 8:46)
THEN, He restores...
  • our innocence (I Ki. 8:32) Note: innocence does not mean sinlessness; it means pure relationship.
  • our spiritual footing (I Ki. 8:34)
  • our proper habits - a godly lifestyle (I Ki. 8:36)
  • our heart relationship (I Ki. 8:39)
  • our testimony before a watching world (I Ki. 8:43)
  • our strength for battle (I Ki. 8:45)
  • our daily walk with the Lord (I Ki. 8:49)
In each case, God's response is to restore us! He "turn[s] our hearts to Him" (I Ki. 8:58) and "teach[es us] the right way to live" (I Ki. 8:36). The result is that we are "joyful and glad in heart for all the good things the Lord [has] done" (I Ki. 8:66). Isn't that a better way to live?!


New Testament: I Corinthians 5

Was Paul writing this around Passover time? It seems that all the matzah he was eating could be what gave occasion to his comment about yeast (I Cor. 5:6) and that led naturally to the reference to keeping the festival. Then it was no great leap to speak of “Christ, our Passover lamb” who has been sacrificed for us.

But don’t miss the context and basic matter of this chapter. Though Paul has plenty to say about it, it’s not even sexual immorality. The main topic is what to do about a sinning brother.

Church discipline! The very mention stirs a dissonant cord. There’s an immediate hesitation that borders on resistance. It’s not a fun thing to consider. Perhaps it’s easier if the sin is so blatantly gross (I Cor. 5:1) but that wasn’t the case here at Corinth. They actually prided themselves that they could keep such a one in their fellowship.

Paul is very clear in his judgment: such a one should be “put out of your fellowship” (I Cor. 5:1). In fact, he goes much further: he should be handed over to Satan for the destruction of his body, and the ultimate saving of his soul (I Cor. 5:5). Such language would be rare indeed in church business meetings nowadays.

“Put him out of your fellowship” implies first that there is such a fellowship, that there is such a union of like-minded believers who are jealous for truth and righteousness, and that there is some standard for being “in” and that just causes for being put “out” have been established. That’s a lot of implications!

We’ve nearly lost the meaning, purpose, and value of church membership today. Church hopping is so common and easy that few still feel any sense of community or responsibility to the body of believers in a local church. For sure, there’s precious little authority left. “Members” may come and go and pretty much do as they please with no fear. Excommunication? That’s something from the Catholics in the Middle Ages.

Not so in Scripture. The Bible teaches the importance of committed members of a body that functions together. When one member hurts, all feel it. When a member falls into sin, there are consequences. There’s no place to hide or skip off to when a whim leads you to move on. Responsibility, service, faithfulness, dependability, and accountability are key words. More than words! They are God-honoring principles that define church membership.

Labels: , , , , , ,