Friday, May 16, 2014

THE LORD SPOKE (May 16)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: I Kings 5-6

Does God keep his promises?

I Kings 6:12-13 "If you follow my decrees, carry out my regulations, and keep all my commands and obey them, I will fulfill through you the promise I gave to David your father...." Does an "if" appear here in the Davidic Covenant? How are we to understand this conditional clause?

II Samuel 7:5-16 God's promise to David was unconditional. He flat out promised to establish his throne forever. In that promise He declares that "my love will never be taken away from him" (II Sam. 7:15). So where does the "if" come from?

Psalm 89 This psalm provides an essential key to understanding the ups-and-downs of the Davidic dynasty and how exactly God kept his promise to David:

If his sons forsake my law and do not follow my statutes, if they violate my decrees and fail to keep my commands, I will punish their sin with the rod, their iniquity with flogging; but I will not take my love from him, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness. I will not violate my covenant or alter what my lips have uttered. Once for all, I have sworn by my holiness - I will not lie to David - that his line will continue forever and his throne endure before me like the sun; it will be established forever like the moon, the faithful witness in the sky. (Ps. 89:30-37)
That this messianic promise ("his line will continue forever") was applied to Jesus Christ is evident in John 12:34 - "the Christ will remain forever". The prophet Isaiah also proclaimed this glorious truth which still lifts our souls:

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. (Isaiah 9:6-7)
There won't be any more primaries, any more worthless campaign promises, nor any more slickly worded public statements that leave you wondering what the candidate just said. There won't be any more leaders who say one thing and do another. God has promised us a better day and we may rest in His promises.


New Testament: I Corinthians 3

“Each one should be careful how he builds” (I Cor. 3:10b). Paul applies this to his own work at Corinth but he encourages each of us to apply it appropriately to our own life and work. How are you building? Will the structure last? When the storms of life fall upon it will the building still be there afterwards?

Paul shifts the metaphor slightly when he describes the building materials. They fall basically into two categories - durable and non-durable. Some stuff is built to last and some isn’t. When the fires of adversity and testing come, some will crumble and be consumed while some will stand the test and stay standing. The wood, hay, and stubble will be burned up; the gold, silver, and precious stones will remain and be rewarded (I Cor. 3:13-14).

What is the “fire” that does this? Here’s a suggestion. In the only physical description of Jesus Christ found anywhere in the Bible, John tells us “His eyes were like a flame of fire” (Rev. 1:14). His penetrating look will burn away all the dross. He can see our deeds for what they are. He can see our very motivation. His view of what we do and why we do it is the standard by which we’ll be judged. Peek ahead to the next chapter: It’s the Lord who “will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts” (I Cor. 4:5). That which is worthless will be burned up.

How big your pile of ash is in the end won’t make a bit of difference. One puff of wind will dissipate it all - leaving only that which is worthy of reward. So, be careful how you build (I Cor. 3:10). Guard your motivations and give of your best to the Master. Craft your life according to His blueprint and create a legacy patterned after the Bible.

Labels: , , , , ,