Saturday, May 17, 2014

THE LORD SPOKE (May 17)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: I Kings 7

What does it mean to "worship the Lord in the beauty of His holiness" (Ps. 29:2)?

We have (rightly) reacted to the ostentatious decor of cathedrals and the baroque decorations of some churches. Much church architecture detracts from the proper concentration on worship and the presence of God in our meeting places. But, does the fluorescent-lit, low ceiling of a modern "worship center" really express the ascendancy of God? Does the "common-as-an-old-shoe" feeling of our sanctuaries tell of His wonder and might? Does our architecture speak of His glory?

Even a swift glance at this chapter (which is all most people give it) would indicate that Solomon put some real thought and effort into the building of the Temple of Jerusalem. True, God Himself had said He was not one to "dwell in a house" (I Chron. 17:5). But then He did allow the building of a Temple and blessed it by filling it with His glory (I Ki. 8:10-11). It was one of the most magnificent structures of antiquity and stood as a visual testimony to the splendor of God's holiness.

Solomon took time to build this building (I Ki. 6:37). He brought in skilled craftsmen (I Ki. 7:13-14) and used high-quality building materials (c.f. I Ki. 7:9-12). He furnished it with the finest objects inside and out, and it appears that he spared no expense (I Ki. 7:51).

Let us give more attention to the physical surroundings of our places of worship. Never should they detract from God-ward attention, either because of their ostentatious decor, nor their drab appearance, or their lack of thought in proper worship arrangements. But far more important, let us remember that "we are the temple of the living God" (II Cor. 6:16). Taking physical care of our bodies is one application of this. But this truth is even more emphatic in terms of worshiping the Lord and expressing our love for Him in the way we use our bodies.


New Testament: I Corinthians 4

He had only an elementary education but by the time he was a teenager he could read the Bible in six languages. He taught himself Latin, Hebrew, Greek, French, and Dutch while he mended shoes. William Carey went on to become the Professor of Oriental Languages in Calcutta and establish a printing press in Serampore which provided the Scriptures to over 300 million people in over 400 languages.

Writing to his nephew in later years, William Carey said, “If after my removal anyone should think it worth while to write my life, I will give you a criterion by which you may judge of its correctness. If he gives me credit for being a plodder, he will describe me justly. Anything beyond this will be too much. I can plod. That is my only genius. I can persevere in any definite pursuit. To this I owe everything.”

Paul encourages us in this direction when he says, “Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.” (I Cor. 4:2). God is not looking so much for great strengths and abilities as for great faithfulness. Dedication to Him and discipline in our daily life is what pleases Him most.

How we long for tangible examples. We need a pattern to follow, a person to imitate. And Paul gives us that when he says, “I urge you to imitate me.” (I Cor. 4:16). His life and godly example was such that it could/should be imitated! How many can say that? Of course, our eyes should be on Jesus but sometimes we’re tempted to think, “But He was the son of God. How could I be like Him?” (Which is wrong thinking, of course, since He was “tempted in all points like as we are” and gives us a perfect example to follow.”

But here is Paul, a mere man, and not a perfect one at that, saying “you can follow my example.

We sing “great is Thy faithfulness” to God. How great it will be if we can hear Him say to us in the end, “Great is thy faithfulness, my servant. Enter into the joy I’ve prepared for you.”

Labels: , , , , , ,