Thursday, May 15, 2014

THE LORD SPOKE (May 15)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: I Kings 3-4

I Ki. 3:3 - "Solomon showed his love for the Lord by walking according to the statues of his father David, except..."
How do you demonstrate love? Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments." That must be done with the whole heart. Unfortunately, Solomon had an exception clause here. True, it's not exactly something he's holding back from the Lord, but it is an exception to full and whole-hearted obedience. The Hebrew word translated "except" is rak. We need to get the raks out of the road! It was good that Solomon followed the teachings of his father (which became Scripture!) but it's always the "exception clauses" and fine print that we put into the contracts that trip us up. As it turns out, Solomon later allowed some other ruts and washboards to develop in his walk with the Lord.
I Ki. 3:9a - "give your servant a discerning heart"
Solomon's request for wisdom pleased the Lord because it demonstrated dependence upon God, humility (not usually a quality found in kings), perception (God calls it "discernment in administering justice" in I Ki. 3:11), and right priorities.
I Ki. 3:12 - God said, "I will do what you have asked."
Unlike the proverbial genie, God's wish fulfillment came with an exception clause too. Though He did accept Solomon's commitment here, notice that He stipulated that the request would be filled "if you walk in my ways" (I Ki. 3:14).
I Ki. 3:29 - "God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore."
God's mercy is vast. His love is unfathomable. He is generous beyond imagination. And, He is good. Is he not worthy of our dependence? Should we not exercise great caution in being anything less than genuinely humble before Him and others? Should we not pursue a divine perception of life and, based on Scripture, develop right priorities to govern our path?
What is it that you are asking of the Lord right now? What raks do you have in the road - what are you not willing to give up? Why?


New Testament: I Corinthians 2

“My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words” (I Cor. 2:4). Few people would probably describe Paul’s content like that! In some cases, we’ve spent the last 2000 years trying to plumb the depths of what he said.

Was it because of the time that Apollos had spent in Corinth (Acts 18:24-28)? He was an eloquent teacher and “spoke with great fervor” in preaching and in public debate. His would have been a hard act to follow.

Have you ever had the experiences of speaking to someone and then realizing they didn’t know the language you’re using? One common tendency is to say it again about ten decibels higher - as if talking louder will somehow make them understand.

That’s what Paul is saying here. No amount of eloquence is going to outdo the truth. Human wisdom and funny language do not establish what is true. Intellectual and oratorical finesse might be persuasive to some but they are a shallow foundation laid upon sand.

In spiritual matters, it is “the Spirit who is from God” (I Cor. 2:12) that reveals the truth. He has revealed “the deep things of God” and it is He who helps us to understand their meaning. “The man who is without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them because they are spiritually discerned” (I Cor. 2:14).

Do you know someone like that? How sad! Do you occasionally find yourself so dull spiritually that you feel like that yourself? Sadder yet! Sing this song; pray this prayer....

Come Holy Spirit,
Fall afresh on me.
Fill me with Your power,
Satisfy my needs,
Only You can make me whole.
Give me strength to make me grow.
Come Holy Spirit,
Fall afresh on me.

Labels: , , , ,