Saturday, July 12, 2014

THE LORD SPOKE (July 12)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: Ezra 9-10

"What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt...not one of us can stand in your presence" (Ezra 9:13,15).

How do you know when you need to repent?
  • when other people can see it and tell you so (Ezra 9:1a)
  • when you're starting to look/act just like the world around you (Ezra 9:1b)
  • when even your friends, who are supposed to be different, are evident in their unfaithfulness to the Lord (Ezra 9:2)
How do you repent properly?
  • with genuine grief (Ezra 9:3)
  • with fear of God (Ezra 9:4a)
  • not quickly (Ezra 9:4b)
  • with humility (Ezra 9:5a)
  • on your knees before the Lord (Ezra 9:5b)
  • in prayer (Ezra 9:6-15)
  • with shame (Ezra 9:6a)
  • recognizing your guilt and naming your sin (Ezra 9:7)
What are the results?
  • the grace of God (Ezra 9:8a)
  • a band of brothers to stand together with you (Ezra 9:8b)
  • a place in God's presence (Ezra 9:8c)
  • God's presence with you (Ezra 9:9a)
  • new life and strength to carry on (Ezra 9:9b)
It's true before and it's still true after: "you have punished us less than our sins have deserved" (Ezra 9:13). Our God is an awesome God.


New Testament: I Timothy 3

The Bible nowhere teaches that there is a spiritual elite. There is no double standard - one for an upper class of Christians and another easier one for common folk. The high standard is the same for every believer.

The qualifications for pastors and deacons found in I Timothy 3 are really God’s standards for all believers. A man may be disqualified from public service if he fails to meet those requirements but they do not represent a higher standard that some should strive for. They are God’s requirements for all, both men and women. Every single one is treated elsewhere in Scripture and is applicable to every individual who names the name of Christ.

Did you notice how Paul summarized “these instructions” just after giving the two lists? They are intended to teach “how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household which is the church” (I Tim. 3:15). They provide a description of what godliness should look like.

Paul calls this a “mystery”. In his day the Greek word (mysterion) was used of several mystery religions that were revealed only to the initiated. Paul used the term for something that was formerly hidden or obscure but is now revealed by God for all to know and understand (c.f. Rom. 11:25 and Col. 1:26).

The list of standards is high. Combining the two lists and including another in Titus, we come up with the following: (E = elder; D = deacon)
  • self-controlled (E) - I Tim. 3:2; Tit. 1:8
  • hospitable (E) - I Tim. 3:2; Tit. 1:8
  • able to teach (E) - I Tim. 3:2; 5:17; Tit. 1:9
  • not violent but gentle (E) - I Tim. 3:3; Tit. 1:7
  • not quarrelsome (E) - I Tim. 3:3
  • not a lover of money (E) - I Tim. 3:3
  • not a recent convert (E) - I Tim. 3:6
  • has a good reputation with outsiders (E) - I Tim. 3:7
  • not overbearing (E) - Tit. 1:7
  • not quick-tempered (E) - Tit. 1:7
  • loves what is good (E) - Tit. 1:8
  • upright, holy (E) - Tit. 1:8
  • disciplined (E) - Tit. 1:8
  • above reproach, blameless (E& D) - I Tim. 3:2,9; Tit. 1:6
  • husband of one wife (E& D) - I Tim. 3:2,12; Tit. 1:7
  • temperate (E& D) - I Tim. 3:2,8; Tit. 1:7
  • respectable (E& D) - I Tim. 3:2,8
  • not given to drunkenness (E& D) - I Tim. 3:3,8; Tit. 1:7
  • manages his own family well (E& D) - I Tim. 3:4,12
  • sees that his children obey him (E& D) - I Tim. 3:4-6,12; Tit. 1:6
  • does not pursue dishonest gain (E& D) - I Tim. 3:8; Tit. 1:7
  • keeps hold of the deep truths (E& D) - I Tim. 3:9; Tit. 1:9
  • sincere (D) - I Tim. 3:8
  • tested (D) - I Tim. 3:10
How are you doing?

Labels: , , , , , ,