Tuesday, March 25, 2014

THE LORD SPOKE (March 25)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: Deuteronomy 33-34

Moses did a lot of mountain climbing. He was up and down Mt. Sinai more times than a man much younger would care to do. Here in Deuteronomy 34 he climbs his last mountain. Going up from the plains of Moab on the chain of Nebo, he ascends Mt. Pisgah, the highest peak opposite Jericho.

It wasn’t a happy climb. On the threshold of the Promised Land, his sin allowed him a look but no entry. God had just recently (Deut. 32:51-52) reminded him of the reason: “because...your broke faith with me...and because you did not uphold my holiness among the Israelites.” When he came to Mt. Pisgah, Moses knew that it would be his last mountain to climb. We’re told that God buried him there.

He’d lived a long and fruitful life. “His eyes were not weak nor his strength gone” (Deut. 34:7). No other prophet ever rose higher. No other prophet ever did “all the miraculous signs and wonders the Lord sent him to do” (Deut. 34:11). No man ever had “the mighty power or performed the awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel” (Deut. 34:12).

Until Jesus! Moses was a true servant but Jesus is the only begotten Son.

Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess. He was faithful to the one who appointed him, just as Moses was faithful in all God's house. Jesus has been found worthy of greater honor than Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honor than the house itself. For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything. Moses was faithful as a servant in all God's house, testifying to what would be said in the future. But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast. (Heb 3:1-6)
The One greater than Moses has come. He alone is able to take us safely to the other side. He will be our Guide, even unto death.

On Jordan’s stormy banks I stand,
And cast a wishful eye
To Canaan’s fair and happy land,
Where my possessions lie.

I am bound for the Promised Land,
I am bound for the Promised Land.
O who will come and go with me?
I am bound for the Promised Land.

When shall I reach that happy place,
And be forever blest?
When shall I see my Father’s face,
And in His bosom rest?

I am bound for the Promised Land,
I am bound for the Promised Land.
O who will come and go with me?
I am bound for the Promised Land.


New Testament: John 16

It’s so very plain - why do we not get it? Jesus says, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Note the contrast between “in me” and “in this world”. And then notice the contrast between “you will have peace” and “you will have trouble”. If we abide in Christ (remember John 15?) we will experience deep peace and quietness in our soul. If we continue to play with the world and its ways of thinking, we can expect agitation and anguish of soul. It’s as simple as that.

The disciples had just declared, “Now we understand!” But did they? If so, their understanding was still only head knowledge. Jesus Himself predicted that they would yet be scattered (Jn. 16:32: c.f. Mat. 26:31) and abandon Him. They were still depending upon themselves and He knew they would fail. But the majesty of His plan is that it’s not built on our strength but on His ability to use us even after we fail!

My sin - O, the bliss of this glorious thought -
My sin - not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

A major part of the reason we can rest secure in this thought is the utter dependability of Christ. He never fails. He always follows the Father’s plan perfectly. He has said, “I do exactly what my Father has commanded me” (Jn. 14:31) and “everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you” (Jn. 15:15). Like clockwork, He said “I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father” (Jn. 16:28).

By the way, that’s the perfect outline of John’s gospel: “I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”
  • came from the Father - chapter 1
  • entered the world - chapters 2-11
  • leaving the world - chapters 12-19
  • back to the Father - chapters 20-21
That’s what makes it especially good news and so believable when He says, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me...” (Jn. 14:3).

Labels: , , , , , ,