Monday, March 17, 2014

THE LORD SPOKE (March 17)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: Deuteronomy 14-16

Do you root for the underdog? Do you always take sides with the down-trodden? Is your heart soft for those who have little in this world?

It should be. It should be because God’s heart is just that. There are many references in Scripture to caring and providing for the poor.

Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land. (Deut. 15:10-11)
In the previous chapter (Deut. 14:28-29), God had made provision to feed the needy. Earlier in this same chapter (Deut. 15:1-4), He also created a system to balance society more equitably, saying “there should be no poor among you”. In fact, little Israel was to be the lender and caretaker of many nations around them - borrowing or dependent on none.

That’s amazing and also true to modern history. It is also a true principle whereby you may live your own life. It applies to individuals equally well.

Are you generous? Are you “openhanded” towards those who have less? Remember, “the Lord loves a cheerful giver” (II Cor. 9:7).


New Testament: John 8

It’s quite a litany of condemning phrases. All the dirty linen was out on the line that day. Jesus had come to a showdown with the Pharisees and He brought ten railing accusations against them:
  1. “you have no idea where I come from” (8:14)
  2. “you have no idea where I am going” (8:14)
  3. “you do not know me” (8:19)
  4. “you do not know my Father” (8:19)
  5. “where I go you cannot come” (vs. 21)
  6. “you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be” (8:24)
  7. “you have no room for my word” (8:37)
  8. “you are unable to hear what I say” (8:43)
  9. “you do not believe me” (8:45)
  10. “you do not hear” (8:47)
Four times He challenges them to change their behavior:
  1. “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.” (Jn. 8:31)
  2. “If you were Abraham’s children, then you would do the things Abraham did.” (Jn. 8:39)
  3. “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God.” (8:42)
  4. “If anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” (Jn. 8:51)
The resounding conclusion of the manifesto comes with His declaration of deity. Let no man say He never claimed to be God. For His “blasphemy” they were ready to execute Him by stoning. What was the statement that did it? He claimed to be greater than Abraham. In fact, He equated Himself with the great “I AM” - the Ancient of Days.

Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.... Before Abraham was born, I am! (Jn. 8:56,58)

Labels: , , , , , ,