Wednesday, November 27, 2013

THE LORD SPOKE (November 27)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Ezekiel 46-48

Here’s a hot fishing tip for the Millennium! Get yourself a spot on the NW shore of the Dead Sea.

Ezekiel describes a miraculous river which flows out of Jerusalem, coming from under the threshold of the Temple (47:1). As it flows east it cuts to the south side of the altar and exits the Temple compound south of the closed eastern gate (47:2). After 1500' it is flowing at a depth of 4-5 inches. Without tributaries, the flow increases dramatically as it drops. By 3000' it’s already 20" deep; by 4500' it’s up to 40"; and by 6000' it’s too deep to wade across anymore. The drop in elevation from Jerusalem is dramatic, about 3700' in 15 miles.

Today the course of this river would take it through a barren wasteland for the most part. Except for a some seasonal watercourses and a few small springs, there is little water to be found in the Judean Desert and vegetation is scarce, found in small pockets near the water. But Ezekiel’s river is bordered by “a great number of trees” (47:7). They will be plentiful and will produce a variety of fruit and medicine throughout the year (47:12).

The water of the Dead Sea will “become fresh” whenever it comes in contact with the crystal flow. Today the salt and mineral content of the Dead Sea is such that nothing lives in its waters. But this miraculous stream will heal the salty waters. En Gedi (“spring of the goat”) is a well known oasis on the west shore but En-Eglaim (“spring of the two calves”) is unknown. Its probable location is somewhere on the east shore, such that the whole north end of the lake will become fresh water while the south end (“the swamps and marshes” of vs. 11) will remain salty. P.S. Salt will be needed for the sacrifices at the Temple (43:24).

This river was “seen” by several others in Scripture:
  • David in Psalm 36:8 - “your river of delights”
  • the sons of Korah in Psalm 46:4 - “there is a river whose streams make glad the city of God”
  • Joel in 3:18 - “a fountain will flow out of the Lord’s house and will water the Valley of Acacias”
  • Zechariah in 13:1 & 14:8 - “living water will flow out from Jerusalem...the river of the water of life”
Now compare this river with John’s vision of the New Jerusalem in Revelation 21-22. He describes a river there which,

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. (Rev. 22:1-2)
Beautiful to imagine! Hard to wait to see it, huh?


Psalms 143-144

...My soul thirsts for you like a parched land. (Ps. 143:6)

Frequently in Scripture, the analogy that is used to express our longing for God is that of thirst. Living, as he did, and tending his flocks in the barren Judean wilderness, David knew something of parched land. No doubt there were many times he longed for some refreshing stream in the baked countryside.

When David brought together the various psalms to compose the Psalter, the first one he chose for Book II was from the sons of Korah and begins with these words: “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. Where can I go and meet with God?” (Ps. 42:1-2)

David himself wrote: “O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.” (Ps. 63:1)

The prophets often picked up on the same theme. Isaiah said: “They will neither hunger nor thirst, nor will the desert heat or the sun beat upon them. He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water.” (Is. 49:10) and “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters...” (Is. 55:1).

Jesus completed that invitation when He said: “Whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst.... He who believes in me will never be thirsty.... If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” (Jn. 4:14; 6:35; 7:37-38)

The promise is repeated with great joy by the hosts of heaven in Revelation 7:15-17 where it says, “never again will they thirst...for the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water.”

All my life-long I had panted
For a drink from some clear spring,
That I hoped would quench the burning
Of the thirst I felt within.

Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

Poor I was, and sought for riches,
Something that would satisfy,
But the dust I gathered round me
Only mocked my soul’s sad cry.

Well of water, ever springing,
Bread of life so rich and free,
Untold wealth that never faileth,
My Redeemer is to me. (Clara T. Williams)

Labels: , , , , , , ,