Monday, November 25, 2013

THE LORD SPOKE (November 25)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Ezekiel 42-43

What good is a temple without the presence of God? Ezekiel saw the glory of God departing to the east (11:2) and now, in vision and audition, he sees it return (43:4). God’s glory is always on the move in Ezekiel (3:23; 9:3; 10:4,18; 44:4). Its sound is “like the roar of rushing waves” (43:2; compare Rev. 1:15; 14:2; 19:6). The temple plan, so intricately described in chapters 40-42, is blessed now by the return of the Shekinah with a radiance like that of a rainbow (see 1:28).

But as beautiful as was the building, the architectural focus is on the altar (43:13-27). Over 20' tall, it took a pyramidal shape with three stacked layers of decreasing size. The top level is called the “altar hearth” (43:15; literally, “the mountain of God”, harel). From its surface (called “the lion of God”, ariel, in 43:15,16) projected four horns. These offer asylum for the accused person (Ex. 21:12-14) and are where the blood of the sacrifices will be sprinkled. Unlike previous altars, this one will have stairs leading to its top (40:17; compare Ex. 20:26).

No ark or mercy-seat is mentioned in this temple because propitiation for sins has been accomplished once-and-for-all at the death of Jesus, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (Jn. 1:29). The reason for the altar and the sacrifices that will be carried out on it is not to take away sin (Heb. 10:4 tells us they could never do that) but to look back at the supreme Sacrifice which solved the sin problem once and forever. They will serve as a memorial of His death and the solution for sin which God accepted on our behalf.

Alas! and did my Savior bleed,
And did my Sovereign die!
Would he devote that sacred head
For sinners such as I?

Was it for crimes that I have done,
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut its glories in,
When God, the mighty maker, died
For his own creature's sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face
While his dear cross appears;
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt mine eyes to tears.

But drops of tears can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe.
Here, Lord, I give myself away;
'Tis all that I can do.
Isaac Watts


Psalms 139-140

You’d think a king would be able to hide away if need be. Surely a sovereign could obtain secrecy. But David knew from experience that his sin could not be hidden. He’d found out the hard way the truth of Moses’ words: “you may be sure that your sin will find you out” (Num. 32:23).

But David’s relationship with the Lord was such that he invited God’s scrutiny and asked Him to reveal even his unperceived sin. The purpose was that he might then walk “in the way everlasting”. Like bookends, Psalm 139 has this thought at the beginning and at the close:

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.... Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Ps. 139:1-2,23-24)
It takes a genuine relationship with the Lord and a strong desire to please Him to pray such a prayer. Those words inspired J. Edwin Orr to write the words to the well-known song, Cleanse Me. Think through each stanza carefully and then sing it as your own prayer to God.

Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin and set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy Word and make me pure within.
Fill me with fire where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.

Lord, take my life and make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine.
Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
I now surrender Lord - in me abide.

O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival, start the work in me.
Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.

Labels: , , , , , ,