Monday, September 30, 2013

THE LORD SPOKE (September 30)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Isaiah 32-34

Are we heading into difficult times? It would appear so. Israel was in bad times in Isaiah’s day and headed for more of the same. The prophet, by inspiration, gives us some wise counsel and very helpful encouragement on how to face tough times.

The Lord is exalted, for he dwells on high.... He will be the sure foundation for your times.... The fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure. (Is. 33:5-6)
It is the man who fears the Lord that can survive a depression. Even when everything around him is crashing down, because he is in step with the Lord, he is able to carry on. He is steadfast, like a rock, because he is founded on the Rock that can’t be moved. So the question must be, who is that man? How do I “fear the Lord”? Isaiah answers:

He who walks righteously
and speaks what is right,
who rejects gain from extortion
and keeps his hand from accepting bribes,
who stops his ears against plots of murder
and shuts his eyes against contemplating evil -
this is the man who will dwell on the heights,
whose refuge will be the mountain fortress.
His bread will be supplied,
and water will not fail him. (Is. 33:15-16)

When people have lost hope, he hasn’t. When those around him are stressing out, he isn’t. When others are going hungry, he won’t.

There is hope in the darkest of days because God is there. He is the ultimate source of any and all hope. Hang on to Him and don’t let go.

O Lord, be gracious to us;
We long for you.
Be our strength every morning,
our salvation in time of distress. (Is. 33:2)


Psalms 27-28

Hamlet had his soliloquy. This is David’s! Psalm 27 is one man’s confident monologue of trust in God. David was surrounded by foes. Probably more so than any of us. He had many reasons to look over his shoulder and to seek ways to harden himself. But this triumphant prayer reveals what he was as the ultimate source of strength.

Ps. 27:1 - “the Lord is my light”. This is both a recognition that, without Him, all is black darkness and a confident confession that He is the source of life itself. He’s a shelter in the time of storm. He is my stronghold in life.

Ps. 27:4 - “one thing I ask of the Lord”. To be in His presence is to know peace. It may be storming all around but He gives tranquility. Not only is He a shelter in the storm, He is the source of beauty and fulfillment. He makes life worth living. He is my satisfaction in life.

Ps. 27:6 - “I will sing and make music to the Lord”. He puts a spring in my step and makes it worth getting up in the morning. He does so much more than just provide the bare necessities of life. He adds beauty and grace. He writes the melody and supports it with harmony. He is my song in life.

Ps. 27:8 - “your face, Lord, will I seek”. When I come to Him, He does not hide, or turn away in anger, or reject me. His arms are always open to enfold me. I can be sure that even when all else may fail me, He will not. He is my security in life.

Ps. 27:11 - “teach me your way, O Lord”. I want to know more. I want to apply what I know. I want to observe Him and learn by His example. He is the master teacher. He is my supervisor in life.

I am confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. (Ps. 27:13-14)
It’s worth it!

Labels: , , , , , ,