Saturday, September 28, 2013

THE LORD SPOKE (September 28)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Isaiah 27-29

These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. (Isaiah 29:13)

Religion! For some people, it’s a whole way of life. Nearly every waking moment is occupied with thoughts of religious devotion and activity. Priests and laymen of every imaginable faith or denomination may fall into this category.

Many other people think of religion as a bad thing. Some because they have no place for God in their lives and see religion as a weakness, something for people who need a crutch, the opiate of the people. Others reject any religion as a man-made system that has nothing to do with genuine faith in the living God. Either way, one shouldn’t get caught up in religion - it’s meaningless.

Usually, “religion” implies a list of “thou shalt nots”, or a holier-than-thou attitude, or a hierarchical system of church authority. For some it might be characterized by lit candles, backwards collars, and images of saints. Others might think of it more in terms of an ornate temple, multiple baptisms, and tithes withheld. Many would equate it with good deeds or mitzvot as a way to heaven.

But the term “religion” is actually a very good thing. Coming from the Latin terms re (again) + ligare (unite or link), it refers to that which reconnects or brings back together things that are separated. Because of our sin, we are separated from God and religion is that which brings us back into fellowship with Him. True religion then is a personal relationship with God restored. That’s what Isaiah was getting at when he cries for "these people [who] come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men" (Is. 29:13).

In another context, James also refers to the link between our words and our walk:
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. (James 1:26-27)

Psalms 23-24

The Shepherd Psalm (Ps. 23) is a message of hope and God’s promises. Each of the phrases describes one of God’s attributes and reminds us of another of God’s names in Scripture.

Ps. 23:1 - The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
This speaks of God’s promise of care and provision. In Genesis 22:8, He is called Jehovah-Yireh (sometimes spelled Jirah in English). Literally, it means “Yahweh sees”, but the intent is that He sees and cares, with a view to making provision. Abraham knew God as the One who provides.
Ps. 23:2 - He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
God’s promise of rest and peace is seen in this idyllic frame. He made himself known as Jehovah-Shalom to Gideon in Judges 6:24.
Ps. 23:3 - He restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Moses knew Him as Jehovah-Rophe - Yahweh the Doctor - in Exodus 15:26. This tells us of God’s promise of healing and guidance.
Ps. 23:4 - Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
“The God Who Is There” (Jehovah-Shammah) was the name revealed to Ezekiel when he was comforted by God’s promise of His presence and comfort in Ezek. 48:35. Though He is certainly transcendent above all His creation, His immanence is a source of continual comfort. He is right here beside me!
Ps. 23:5 - You prepare a table before me in the presence of mine enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows.
Moses told Joshua that was his banner, Jehovah-Nissi, in Exodus 17:15. God would lead the way and give him the victory. He was assured of God’s promise of friendship and exaltation.
Ps. 23:6 - Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
God’s promise of hope and home is wrapped up in His name Jehovah. He is the eternal “I AM” who revealed Himself as such on Mount Sinai in Exodus 3:14. Bound up in the four letters of the divine tetragrammaton (יהוה) are all the tenses of the verb “to be”. He constitutes eternal Being.
As the writer of Hebrews puts it, “Without faith it is impossible to please him; for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Heb. 11:6)

Labels: , , , , , ,