Friday, July 25, 2014

THE LORD SPOKE (July 25)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: Job 7-9

How good we are at self-defense. Just look at some of Job’s rationalizations, whining, and self-serving arguments:
  1. Few people have gone through what I have. I have a right to complain. (Job 6:1-7)
  2. Sometimes I wish God would just take me home. There’s really not much reason for me to still be here anyway. (Job 6:8-13)
  3. No one seems to understand what I’ve been going through. I don’t have anyone I can unload on. (Job 6:14-21)
  4. I don’t ask for much. You’d think a person could expect a little more consideration. Instead, all I get is condemnation from you. (Job 6:22-30)
  5. Life is so hard. Sometimes the days seem to drag and sometimes I wonder where the time has gone, but one thing’s sure - it’s messed up either way. (Job 7:1-10)
  6. Get off my back! Will you just lay off for awhile? I’m sick and tired of this. (Job 7:11-21)
Have you heard these things before? Have you been guilty of saying or thinking some of them yourself? Doesn’t it tire you out even to just read them? We’ll have to wait until the end of the book to hear God’s answers but, for now, consider the following advise:
  1. Stop and listen to yourself. Would you like to hear that coming from someone else? Would you put up with it?
  2. Develop some thicker skin. Let some of this stuff slide off. Don’t take everything so personally.
  3. Get yourself a project. Get your eyes off your own problems and help someone else who’s really in need.
Indeed, Job’s response to Bildad (chapter 9) demonstrates some spiritual maturity:
  1. I know you’re right. I just need to get my eyes back on the Lord. (Job 9:1-10)
  2. I need to shut up for awhile. I know He’s in control and I just need to listen to Him again. (Job 9:11-24)
  3. Life is too short to live this way. I don’t want to blow it. I don’t understand some things but I know you can help me Lord. (Job 9:25-35)
As the Jewish saying goes, “From your mouth to God’s ears!”


New Testament: Hebrews 2

If you stop to think about it, it is pretty amazing. That the Son of God, God himself, should call us “brothers” is nearly incredible.

Nearly, but not. It’s not incredible because God tells us it’s true and anything God says is eminently credible. In this case, He also give us a reason why it had to be that way. Since Jesus came not to help angels but to help Abraham’s descendants, “he had to be made like his brothers in every way” (Heb. 2:17).

The topic of Abraham’s descendants had already received significant attention elsewhere in Scripture. Paul developed the fact that Abraham has physical descendants (the Jewish people through Isaac and Jacob) and spiritual descendants (all who believe God’s promise as Abraham did). Galatians 3 and Romans 4 both speak of Abraham’s offspring being heirs of the Promise. Both explain how Gentiles have been included in the Covenant.

But the author of Hebrews is writing to a Jewish audience for who being a descendant of Abraham is a precious truth but not a new concept. Rather, they would be deeply moved by the thought that God became a man and dwelt among us. This was such a foreign idea to them that it needed some serious explanation and proof. Jesus had to be made like us - as a brother in every way.

Why? This passage in Hebrews gives us three initial reasons:
  1. “that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest” (Heb. 2:17b). For most of the rest of the book this truth receives attention and further explanation. He was able to enter the Holy Place once and for ever to obtain our eternal redemption.
  2. “that he might make atonement for the sins of the people” (Heb. 2:17c). By offering Himself as the spotless Lamb of God, He accomplished full atonement for us. The last Adam gives life (I Cor. 15:45-49) and we who “have borne the likeness of earthly man...[will] bear the likeness of the man from heaven”.
  3. that He might be “able to help those who are being tempted” (Heb. 2:18). Since He was “tempted in all points like as we are” (Heb. 4:15), but didn’t ever sin, we can “find grace to help in our time of need”.
Yes, if you stop to think about it, it is pretty amazing that the Son of God should call us His “brothers”. It’s nearly incredible. Nearly, but gloriously not.

Labels: , , , , ,