Tuesday, October 29, 2013

THE LORD SPOKE (October 29)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Jeremiah 43-44

The charge sheet (Jer. 44:10) contained three items. It stated that...
  1. they have not humbled themselves
  2. they have not shown reverence
  3. they have not followed my law
The proposed punishment was severe. The Judge pronounced (Jer. 44:13) that they would be punished...
  1. by the sword
  2. by famine
  3. by plague
The defendants would “become an object of cursing and horror, of condemnation and reproach” (Jer. 44:12) and would not be allowed to return to their Land (Jer. 44:14).

The plea of the defendants (Jer. 44:16) was defiant. Ugly even. No judge would be tempted to treat them with compassion when their reply is, “We will not listen to the message you have spoken to us in the name of the Lord.”

When the sentence (Jer. 44:11-14) was handed down, there must have been a shocked murmur in the courtroom but nobody could be heard to say, “That’s not fair.” The Judge’s verdict (Jer. 44:26-27) was...
  1. not one of you will ever invoke my name again
  2. I am watching over you for harm, not for good
  3. you will perish by sword and famine until you are all destroyed
The proof (Jer. 44:30) would be a sign. The ruling pharaoh of Egypt would be killed. This is exactly what happened in 570 BC when Hophra was killed by his political rivals.

We too will have our day in court. The charge sheet on each of us probably won’t look much different from the one here in Jeremiah 44. But, “the blood of Jesus Christ, God’s son, cleanses us from all sin”(I John 1:7) so we have a plea bargain option.

What will be your words before the righteous Judge? Will you try to go it alone? Would you be so foolish as to resist? Or, will you trust in the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29)?


Psalms 85-86

Restore us again, O God our Savior....
Turn to me and have mercy on me;
Grant your strength to your servant....
(Ps. 85:4 & Ps. 86:16)

These two psalms stand back-to-back for a reason. In the compilation of the psalter they were joined, though composed by different men. To be sure, David’s psalms are scattered throughout but most of his 73 psalms are at the beginning of the collection. The theme that links these two is revival of the soul or restoration of the spirit.

We need it, don’t we?! There come times in life that we cry out to God, “show us your unfailing love, O Lord” (Ps. 85:7). Truth be known, those times come very often. Maybe even daily. We have great need of God’s hesed - His loving-kindness, His mercy and grace, His unmerited favor.

So, like the psalmists, our petitions pile up and we make our requests be known with growing urgency:
  • restore us again (Ps. 85:4)
  • revive us again (Ps. 85:6)
  • grant us your salvation (Ps. 85:7)
  • hear, O Lord, and answer me (Ps. 86:1)
  • guard my life (Ps. 86:2)
  • have mercy on me (Ps. 86:3)
  • bring joy to your servant (Ps. 86:4)
  • teach me your way, O Lord (Ps. 86:11a)
  • give me an undivided heart (Ps. 86:11b)
These all build up to the grand finale, “Turn to me and have mercy on me, grant your strength to your servant...give me a sign of your goodness...” (Ps. 86:16-17).

It’s okay to pray that way. Many examples from Scripture could be cited of men and women who called out to God and received an answer. They looked in the right direction and the response was not delayed. They found God to be an ever-present help in time of need. Are you there right now? Pray this prayer and sing this song...

Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.

O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival, start the work in me;
Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.

Labels: , , , , ,