Tuesday, August 13, 2013

THE LORD SPOKE (August 13)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: Psalm 49-52

It’s not a prayer that we can pray. Under the New Covenant we can no longer pray as David did, “Do not...take your Holy Spirit from me”(Ps. 51:11). Since the Counselor was sent (Jn. 14:26), believers in this age have the Holy Spirit indwelling them (Rom. 8:9-11; I Cor. 3:16). He no longer “comes upon” them as He did in the Old Testament. He now lives in the believer. Though He can be grieved (Eph. 4:30-31) or even quenched (I Thes. 5:19), He cannot be removed.

But that’s about the only part of David’s prayer that we cannot pray. In fact, his words will resonate with every contrite sinner in every age.

“Have mercy on me.” (Ps. 51:1)
It’s because of God’s mercies that we are not consumed. They are new every morning (Lam. 3:23). Aren’t you glad?! It seems I can forever find new ways of sinning yet He is unfailing in His love and has great compassion.

“Cleanse me.” (Ps. 51:2,7)
Only God can wash my sins away. When He purges me, there are no stains left over. My iniquity is blotted out. He does a work in my inner parts that renders me pure, even whiter than snow, and whole again.

“Restore me.” (Ps. 51:10-12)
As great as that cleansing truth is, God will go way beyond mere forgiveness. He will renew a steadfast spirit and He will restore the joy of my salvation. How wonderful is that?!

What triggers this process? Not sacrifice. Not mere words. But a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart (Ps. 51:17). God desires “truth in the inner parts” (Ps. 51:6). Transparency! It’s when we cast ourselves upon Him that He meets us in our deepest need. Good king Josiah found that out (II Kings 22:19) but so did wicked kings Ahab (I Kings 21:29) and Manasseh (II Chron. 33:12,23). So also did pagan King Nebuchadnezzar (Dan. 5:12-23) and the whole pagan city of Nineveh (Jonah 3). When we humble ourselves and pray and seek His face and turn from our wicked ways, He heals us (II Chron. 7:14).

One last thought: There is another step after restoration. Notice the “then” in Ps. 51:13? David was used of God to teach other transgressors and to turn sinners back to Him. Only God would do something like that. David, as a “wounded healer”, was used by God to turn many others back to Himself. You’re a case in point.


New Testament: I Peter 3

Psalm 34 was written by David shortly after he had to flee from Abimelech (I Sam. 21:10-15). Remember how he pretended to be insane and ended up in the bat-dung paved Cave of Adullam? During that time of discouragement, 400 men joined him (I Sam. 22:1-2) and became the core of his future army and his “mighty men”. He wrote in Psalm 34:6,8 these words: “This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.... Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.”

Peter found great solace in those words and quoted from Psalm 34 here in I Peter 3. In his encouragement to persecuted believers of the first century, Peter reminded them to turn to the Lord. He introduces the quotation with the conjunction “For...”, meaning it is the reason for what precedes. “Live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing...” (I Pet. 3:8-9).

Then take note also of the results we may expect, just as David did:
  1. life itself will be gratifying (I Pet. 3:10)
  2. God will see and will reward you (I Pet. 3:12a)
  3. your prayers will be answered (I Pet. 3:12b)
  4. you do not have to fear anything (I Pet. 3:14)
  5. you’ll have a clear conscience (I Pet. 3:16,21)
But take careful note! Peter gives ten commandments to follow if this is to be true in your life:
  1. keep your tongue from evil (I Pet. 3:10)
  2. turn from evil (I Pet. 3:11a)
  3. pursue peace (I Pet. 3:11b)
  4. live righteously (I Pet. 3:12)
  5. do good (I Pet. 3:11b,13)
  6. do not fear (I Pet. 3:14)
  7. commit to Christ as Lord (I Pet. 3:15a)
  8. explain the reasons for your hope (I Pet. 3:15b)
  9. be gentle (I Pet. 3:15c)
  10. keep your conscience clear (I Pet. 3:16)
Got some work to do?

Labels: , , , , , ,