Monday, January 14, 2013

THE LORD SPOKE (January 14)

Daily Reflections from Scripture:

Old Testament: Genesis 33-35

Why didn’t Jacob go straight back to Bethel once he crossed over the Jordan River? Genesis 33:18 says he camped within sight of Shechem, which is within just a few miles of Bethel but why didn’t he return to that place where he’d raised a stone memorial to God. When he left Isaac’s house, he met God and named the spot Bethel (“house of God”) and vowed:

If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s house, then the LORD will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth. (Gen. 28:20-22)
He did, upon arrival in Canaan, acknowledge Jehovah (did you notice the caps) as the God of Israel. He set up an altar and called it El Elohe Israel, meaning “God, the God of Israel”. God had just acknowledged him by naming him “Israel” (Gen. 32:28) and he returned the favor.

But the fact that he lingered in Shechem brought trouble. It’s evident he wasn’t planning to leave too quickly, for he bought land there (Gen. 33:19) and attempted to settle down. The events of Genesis 34 made that less likely. But before he got out, his household had already begun to acquire foreign gods. The situation was quickly deteriorating. Something had to be done.

So God did it. He told Jacob clearly, “Go up to Bethel and settle there, and build an altar...” (Gen. 35:1). Jacob knew it was the right thing to do, the thing he should have done from the start. So he got all his family together, buried all the foreign gods and cultic paraphernalia there in Shechem, and moved on (Gen. 35:4-5).

Jacob and all the people with him came to Luz (that is, Bethel) in the land of Canaan. There he built an altar, and he called the place El Bethel [God of Bethel], because it was there that God revealed himself to him.... Jacob set up a stone pillar at the place where God had talked with him.... (Gen. 35:6-7,14)
On that occasion God repeated his new name for Jacob (Gen. 35:10) and He restated the terms of the Abrahamic Covenant (Gen. 35:11-12) as they applied to Jacob and his descendants. That was also the go-ahead to move further into the Land of Promise. The remainder of the chapter tells of how “they moved on” (Gen. 35:16,21,27), finally getting home to Isaac. We could wish the sacred text told us about that meeting and all the discussion that took place. It also doesn’t tell us how Esau came to be there for the burial (we last saw him headed for Seir (Gen. 33:16), which is southeast of the Dead Sea. But the boys were home when Isaac breathed his last.


New Testament: Matthew 14

It’s the shortest prayer in the Bible. There was no time for dramatics or flowery language. Peter cried out, “Lord, save me!” (Mat. 14:30).

There’s a place for fine speeches and prayers. There’s nothing wrong with polished words. We could stand some improvement in our communications with Almighty God. Try reading the Book of Common Prayer sometime. The rich cadence and majestic language, like that of the King James Version of the Bible, lifts the soul and gives voice to the majesty of God.

But it’s too easy to give voice to such prayers with the wrong motivation. We can get more interested in crafting the language than in communicating with the Lord. We can get into the style that enthralls us, rather than the Spirit that should enthuse us. [That’s a really good word from two Greek words: en + theos = in God!] We can get more involved in the God-words than in speaking God-wards. Such prayers don’t make it above the ceiling of the room where they are spoken.

Peter’s prayer was quick and to the point. It acknowledged the sovereignty of God (“Lord”) and recognized the inadequacy of man (“save me”). It didn’t divert attention or run down a rabbit trail. It came straight out the barrel and wasted no words. And, it got the job done. Jesus “reached out his hand and caught him” (vs. 31).

Jesus also admonished him. Peter was chided for his doubts. Remember, Peter was the only other person on the outside of the boat; the others had not the faith to venture out. But he still had lingering doubts. Had he prayed a little earlier in the day maybe that wouldn’t have been the case. Had he really communed with the Lord previously maybe his faith would have sustained him on the raging sea.

We never know when our faith will be put to the test so it’s wise to stay “all prayed up”. Then a one-breath prayer will keep us on track.


I Didn’t Have Time to Pray
(author unknown)

I got up early one morning and rushed right into the day;
I had so much to accomplish I didn’t have time to pray.
Troubles just tumbled about me and heavier came each task.
Why doesn’t God help me, I wondered.
He answered, “You didn’t ask.”

I tried to come into God’s presence, I used all my keys at the lock.
God gently and lovingly chided, “Why, child, you didn’t knock.”
I wanted to see joy and beauty but the day toiled on grey and bleak.
I wondered why God didn’t show me.
He said, “You didn’t seek.”

I woke up early this morning and paused before entering the day.
I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.

Labels: , , , , , ,